Monday, August 25, 2008

Abuelitas 80th Birthday

We had the opportunity to go to my Abuelitas 80th Birthday party. We just got the pictures back and I was SO excited. I don't get to see my mom's side of the family a whole lot because they live far away so it was nice to get together with everyone and also have pictures of my family. I realize now how important it is to get to know my Abuelita even more because she it my last living grandparent. She is one of the most amazing women, and has gone through so much. She is 80 yrs old and acts like she is 60. Not only is she a joy to be around, but she always finds a way to make me laugh.  Me and Ian went down with my mom to Fort Worth where we were all meeting for dinner. We went to this Mexican Restaurant that I swear had no air conditioning. It was burning hot and we were all sweating to death. We waited for the rest of the family to show up and waited for my Abuelita to arrive as well. It was nice to just sit and enjoy the company of the Garcia side of the family. I wish we were closer to them and spent more time with them. I feel like I dont know them very well and they dont know me very well. I am very happy that they all absolutely adore Ian though. 
                                                          
 When everyone finally arrived we started taking pictures with Abuelita
. She was all smiles and just looked to cute in her little pink dress. I
  dont think we will ever get JD in a cowboy hat again, but at least I have one picture to remember it by. While we were all taking pictures the Mariachis arrived and started playing. I love listening to the Mariachi music and just enjoying the atmosphere. CJ got the courage (after much convincing) to go and ask our abuela to dance and it was a site to see! CJ doesnt have a whole lot of rhythm sometimes but he looked so handsome dancing around the room with her and she was just all smiles. We finally ordered because we were starving from our trip down and after a LONG time waiting for our food to come it was AWFUL! It was almost comical how bad the food was. Ian wasnt feeling too good like always so he ordered the carne guisada which was literally a little bit of meat and flour tortillas..... I ordered
 the chile relleno and could barely down it. All I could think of was waiting for the cake to be cut to get some REAL food inside of us! Ian got a 
little claustrophobic and had to go outside for a bit to get some fresh air. I had the chance to sit down with my Tio Cesar and catch up. He is my closest uncle and always makes me laugh. I remember when me and my sister were younger, he used to ask us how many boyfriends we had and it would make us so embarrassed. He also always invited me to come and see him and I just never had time. Thats one thing Ian and I really want to do still. 
We sang to my abuelita and cut the cake. There was a little more dancing and Mariachis before we had to leave because both Ian and my mom couldnt take it anymore. It was dreadfully hot and my mom nearly passed out. We said our goodbyes and started on our long drive back home to Austin. We had alot of fun and look forward to my Abuelita moving to Austin soon so that we can spend more time with her. She will only be about 5 minutes away and it is so exciting to know I can go and see her whenever I want to now! Happy Birthday Abuelita! 

No comments: